Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Introletter.BethCraig


Hi, my name is Beth Craig. Originally, I'm from a small town outside of Pittsburgh, PA, but I moved here to California when I was four, so I guess that almost qualifies me as a native! I moved a lot as a kid, but mainly went to elementary school in the South Bay area, then graduated from Mt. Miguel High in Spring Valley. I attended Grossmont College, and later graduated from San Diego State University. I currently work as a substitute teacher in the Ramona Unified School District but will have to quit once I begin the credential program. Before I decided to teach, I worked for years in Mortgage Banking. Unfortunately, the real estate market crashed last fall, which prompted my career change.

I am a PC person, but vaguely remember using MAC at SDSU. It was just a matter of getting familiar and comfortable with the MAC, then it was pretty easy to use. My experience with technology began during my years at SDSU and grew from there. Now I use technology on a daily basis, as when I email friends as my main mode of keeping in touch. I also use the internet daily; surfing to find interesting information, watching Youtube, looking up references for school work and just plain having fun. There's a whole universe of information out there and it's so much more interesting than watching television. I believe I'm using Microsoft Office 07, but will check when I get home later.

I have to admit that I honestly applied here to this school because it is the closest school to where I live in Ramona. I admire that the school Mission Statement says it is committed to "diversity , educational equity and social justice." I truly hope that this pledge is backed up by commitment and action. I just had the 364 class and was immediately impressed with how thought-provoking and inward-looking it caused me to be. One of the main lessons I took from that class is that I have so much more to learn. Teaching someone's children will be both a huge honor and responsibility.

3 comments:

Sarah S said...

Beth! I am so sorry to hear that you were forced into a career change, but I am glad that you found something that drives you. I, like you, am not familiar with the MAC. It is weird hw a few years ago we were not using technology as much. i cannpt even imagine how I would get through my day with the use of it. i love that you said that teaching would be a honor, I totally agree.

~sarah s.

Michelle Rivera said...

Hey Beth!
From what I've seen working with you in 364, I think your decision to make a career change to teaching will be such a benefit to the school system and to your students!! I agree completely with your statement that teaching is both an honor and a huge responsibility. I'm glad we get to take 422 together!

Michelle R.

Elizabeth Froeberg said...

Hi Beth!
I too was impressed with how thought provoking our 364 class was. I really learned a lot and it sparked a huge interest in me wanting to learn more and like you said, realizing that I have so much more to learn! I also like what you said about teaching being a huge honor and responsibility! I agree! I think you're going to be a wonderful teacher. It was neat to see your passion for teaching during our last class together when you presented your Me, Myself, and I. Its clear that it is your "vocation" as Dr. Diaz-Greenberg would say!

I'm excited we have this class together too!